CBC Radio 3

UPDATE: Looks like the R3 online magazine is back online:  http://archive.cbcradio3.com/ (Thanks for the update Sean!)

While in graduate school I was fortunate enough to attend a one-day seminar examining digital journalism and convergence. One of the speakers (Sean Embury) came from CBC Radio 3 – a public radio station featuring new music from Canadian artists. He showed the audience CBC Radio3’s online magazine which, by the way, amazed me. The online magazine mixes photography, written content and music in an interesting (and seamless) way. Unfortunately CBC Radio has discontinued the magazine… However; for the time being, you can view the entire archive.

CBC Radio 3 Magazine
CBC Radio 3 Magazine
CBC Radio 3 Magazine
CBC Radio 3 Magazine CBC Radio 3 Magazine

Visit:

By | 2010-11-03T19:37:03+00:00 December 20th, 2006|Design, Music, Stories, Web|10 Comments

10 Comments

1. James Harrison June 14, 2009 at 1:54 am

I was privileged to meet the team behind CBC’s R3 magazine in the autumn 2004 when I was still working for BBC Online. The whole set-up was inspiring and in part was responsible for me going it alone and setting up my own production company. It’s a shame the magazine came to an end – and sadder still, the archive appears to have vanished… Thanks for the memories here.

2. David Baeta April 14, 2010 at 10:45 am

Do you know where we can find archives of this magazine, it was so good. I’d be curious to see them again, maybe even just one issue…!

3. joe April 14, 2010 at 8:31 pm

I too have looked for archives of the magazines – with no luck… Let me know if you find anything.

Joe

4. Alex Baeta May 27, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Dave, dont’ you have better things to do than look for archives?

5. Sean Embury November 3, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Look no further. The R3 Magazine archive is back up. Some of it’s not quite working (the program pages, the internal issue archive, etc). The CBC is trying to get all of the music licensing in order so that the entire 105 issues can be preserved digitally by Archives Canada.

You can find a complete listing of issues at:

ps. thanks for the kind words. It was an amazing project to work on.

6. joe November 3, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Updated the post – so happy to see the archives back online.

7. James Harrison November 23, 2010 at 4:04 pm

It’s back? WOW! That’s the best news I’ve had for ages… a source of pleasure and inspiration. Thanks Archives Canada.

8. Loc Dao August 23, 2011 at 3:07 pm

The archives are back because CBC is nice enough to put them back up but the move to Archives Canada hasn’t happened yet. If you want to see them up please email feedback@cbcradio3.com and ask if the archives for the cbc radio 3 magazine are moving to Archives Canada.

btw the team that created this now does work for the NFB – the National Film Board of Canada.
    http://nfb.ca/interactive links to our work – the landing page here is temporary and not designed by us.

-Loc Dao
    Former Executive Producer of CBC Radio 3
    Current Executive Producer of Digital Content and Strategy for the NFB

9. joe August 23, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Thanks Loc – this is awesome!

10. Tom April 13, 2018 at 6:44 pm

Appears the link doesn’t work anymore. This page seems to be the only salient remainder of the radio3 magazine on the internet.

I LOVED THIS MAGAZINE.